Tuesday, August 28, 2012

My Definition Of Creative Idling



Sometimes you just have to stop to let the good stuff in! 



Creative idling: basically it means stopping. 

I get days when being an adult with constant multi-tasking feels completely over rated. In a nutshell, I'm busy. I've got a lot to do. I often get caught in the weeds! 

One thing that I have been allowing myself to do is stopping when I feel unproductive and just plain tired. Working 50 to 60 hours a week is not good especially when I look at how much of that I actually get paid for. So I'm going to avoid burnout but try to maintain a living because feeding my kids is extremely important to me. 

I'm adopting another personal permission of working smarter and taking time to do things unrelated to illustration. I've been allowing myself to do the following lately:

• I've stepped away from the computer on Sundays.
• I am making more time for note taking, mindless doodling and sketching.  
• I've been giving my eyes a break when they get tired. 
• I'm breaking up my day to focus on different tasks. I find this actually helps me get things done faster while adding creativity to my tasks. 
• I'm looking into asking for help. This is a challenge because my resources for that department are slim. This will come in time.
• I'm also giving up the idea that everything needs to be done as I originally planned. It's not reality. Sometimes letting go of some control allows change to happen. It adds an element of surprise and that can be used in a creative way. 

I'll let you know how all this goes. 

Holly :)

1 comment:

  1. So true, Holly! We can only do so much. It is a blessing to be able to make a living doing what we love. No point in ruining that.

    ReplyDelete

Lets continue the conversation...